same-sex weddings in italy
CIVIL UNION & PARTNERSHIP
Italy has recognized civil unions and partnerships since 2016, providing same-sex couples with most of the legal protections enjoyed by married couples in Italy.
The Civil Union & Partnership ceremonies are conducted at the local Town Hall or venues with a town hall permit, like gardens, villas and castles.
Town hall fees apply to all civil unions in Italy, regardless the citizenship and the type of ceremony (elope, with or without guests).
The amount to pay is fixed by the chosen municipality town administration and payable once the wedding date is confirmed.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED TO GET MARRIED IN ITALY (SAME SEX COUPLES)
We’ll provide a tailor-made legal assistance to get all the correct marriage paperwork , based on your citizenship. In pills, any foreign national in order to get married in Italy needs to provide:
- A valid passport
- A document that declares that you are free to marry. (Depending on your citizenship, this document is called in different ways: certificate of non impediment (aka CNI), Atto Notorio or a single status certificate)
- A document where each spouse declares his/her will to get married. (Depending on the citizenship, this document is called in different ways: A nulla osta or statutory declaration or sworn declaration
- If applicable, a divorce certificate or a widow/widower certificate
Although every effort is made by the authorities/Embassies to accommodate all the pre-wedding appointments to suit your travel arrangements, it is recommended to arrive in Italy:
- CEE European countries: 2-3 working days prior (mon to fri)*
- NON-EU countries, rest of the world: 5 working days prior (mon to fri)*
* this information is only indicative. the arrival time may vary based on your citizenship and residency status. Check before making any travel arrangement
What Clients Say
Chris & Elliot ((uk)
married in SORRENTO
“Hi Deborah, Thank you again for arranging a warm, peaceful wedding ceremony for us ! The Wedding photos are amazing! Grazie”
MAURO & LUCA (ITALY)
married in rome
Chris & Elliott’s Photo Coverage by Bros Photography, Amalfi Coast | Mauro & Luca’s Photo Coverage by Studio Santoni, Rome