marriage  requirements 




embassy legal documents weddings italy marriage

We’ll  provide a tailor-made legal  assistance  to get all the  correct marriage paperwork , based on your citizenship. 

In pills, any foreign national in order to get married in Italy needs to provide:


  • A valid passport

  • A document that declares that you are free to marry.  (Depending on your citizenship, this document is called in different ways: certificate of non impediment (aka  CNI), Atto Notorio or a single status certificate)

  • A document where each spouse declares his/her will to get married. (Depending on the citizenship, this document is called in different ways: A nulla osta or statutory declaration or sworn declaration

  • If applicable, a divorce certificate or a widow/widower certificate 

Although every effort is made by the authorities/Embassies to accommodate all the pre-wedding appointments to suit your travel arrangements, it is recommended to arrive in Italy: 


  • CEE European countries: 2-3 working days prior (mon to fri)*
  • NON-EU countries, rest of the world: 5 working days prior (mon to fri)*

* this information is only indicative. the arrival time may vary based on your citizenship and residency status.  Check  before making any travel arrangement 

IMPORTANT:   if a woman is divorced,  at least 300 days must pass from the divorce date before she can remarry. 


We can assist anyone to get married in Italy.   If your country is not listed below, check with us



Getting a certificate of non impediment (CNI) 

You’ll need to get a certificate of no impediment (CNI) from the authorities in the UK to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Your partner will need to follow the same process to get their own CNI.

You can normally get a CNI by giving a notice of marriage at your local register office or registrar in the UK. Find your local office or registrar in England and Wales ,  Scotland ,  Northern Ireland ,  Isle of Man ,  Jersey  or  Guernsey .

 A CNI issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland is valid for 180 days. A  CNI issued in Scotland is valid for 90 days. Check with your local register office to find out how long a CNI is valid if you live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. 

Getting a statutory declaration (SD)

While you’re waiting for your CNI, you and your partner will need to make a statutory declaration (SD) before a  solicitor or public notary . The Italian authorities will need this in addition to your CNI. There’s a standard template in English and Italian that you can download and use.

 Legalisation and translation

You’ll need to get your statutory declaration and CNI ’ legalised ’ (certified as genuine) by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and send them by courier to our office in Italy.

The CNI  will be  translated by our Registered Translators in Italy and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace.

If you’ve changed your name 

If your name on any of your documents doesn’t appear exactly as it does on your birth certificate, you’ll need to give the Italian marriage authorities evidence of your name change (for example, a marriage certificate or deed poll). If you don’t, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead.




Getting the paperwork from the USA

You will need to gather:

1. Valid American PASSPORT.

2. Original BIRTH CERTIFICATE showing both parents’ names or NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE if you are a naturalized US Citizen.

3. FINAL DIVORCE DECREE (if applicable) or DEATH CERTIFICATE (if applicable) of the previous spouse.

4. Both the Birth or Naturalization Certificate and the Final Divorce Decree or Death Certificate must be apostilled by the Secretary of State in the state where your documents were originally issued. You will get an Apostille stamp which authenticates your documents for use in Italy in accordance with the Hague Convention. The Apostille is valid only for 6 months.

5. TRANSLATIONs: both the Birth/Naturalization Certificate and the Final Divorce Decree or Death Certificate have to be translated into Italian before going to the Italian Consulate to get the Atto Notorio (see following information about the Atto Notorio).

6. ATTO NOTORIO: this is an affidavit done at the Italian Consulate (call the nearest Italian Consulate to the place where you live and set up an appointment) stating that there are no impediments for your marriage to take place.

To get the ATTO NOTORIO you have to bring all the above mentioned original documents apostilled and translated into Italian. You have to go to the Italian Consulate with two or more witnesses (no relatives).

Please make sure that the Consulate puts a stamp in the translation of your documents if the Consulate did not do the translation.

To be valid your Atto Notorio must have at the top of the page the details “Repubblica Italiana” and “ Consolato Generale d’Italia” specifically written.

Send us by fax or e-mail copies of your documents so that we can verify that everything is in order. Keep the originals and hand carry them when you travel to Italy, DO NOT check them at the airport.


Once  in Italy

 With our onsite legal  assistance,  you will need to: 

1.  Obtain a  NULLA OSTA from the American Consulate in Italy stating that you are free to marry. NO witnesses are necessary, bring all the original documents and your passports with you. You will be assisted by one of our coordinators and it has to be done approximately 3 weekdays prior your wedding.   We will fix the appointment at the US Embassy in Italy, prior your arrival. The  NULLA OSTA will be be authenticated by  our  legal staff at  the Prefecture Office. 

2. Attend with our Interpreter the appointment at the Town hall for the  Italian Sworn declaration .





Before leaving Australia, you need to obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Australia in the state where you reside. Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of the previous marriage. If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

If you did not obtain an Atto Notorio prior to coming to Italy or you currently reside in Italy, the Atto Notorio can be executed in Rome. If this is the case we will book the tribunal for you to complete the atto notorio in Rome. There is a cost to this which may vary and includes fees, taxes, stamps, necessary witnesses and assistant ( CHECK WITH US  ‘how to obtain an atto notorio for AU CITIZENS IN ROME’ )  


  • In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (Nulla Osta). This Statutory Declaration must be signed whether you are single, divorced or widowed and you will do so in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or Australian Consulate-General in Milan- A Nulla Osta literally states that “there are no impediments,” or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Statutory Declaration) is valid for six months and, costs the equivalent in Euro of A$50.00 per Australian Citizen.
  • The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura.  We can assist with legalization, leaving the freedom to leave once the nulla osta is issued.


  • If the wedding hall requires it, we will set an appointment with the Wedding Hall authorities, about two days before the wedding. At this time, you will make a Declaration of Intent to Marry. Sometimes the appointment for the Declaration and Wedding may fall on the same day.
  • If one or more of the parties is Italian or is an Australian with Italian residency, then Banns (pubblicazione di matrimonio) must be posted for at least two weeks before the date of the marriage.

Particular Consulates do not follow the above procedures; you will be advised by  Just Get Married in Italy  on the exact steps that need to be followed.



Canadian citizens that want to get married in Italy  are required to present to the Italian authorities a “NULLA OSTA” (certificate of non-impediment to the marriage). The Canadian Consulate does not issue a “Nulla Osta”. However, to assist Canadians in meeting the requirements for appropriate documentation, the Canadian Consulate prepares a declaration containing the relevant information. This declaration is accepted by the Italian authorities for the purposes of Article 116.

To obtain this declaration from the Canadian Consulate, a Canadian Citizen must first complete and swear an AFFIDAVIT to the effect that there is no impediment to the proposed marriage. The affidavit can be sworn in front of a notary public in Canada or a consular official at the Consulate. If the affidavit is to be made at the Canadian Consulate the applicant should fill out the appropriate form and bring and present the following documents:

  • Certified copy of Canadian passport;
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Certificate of Citizenship);
  • Document issued by the competent Vital Statistic authorities in Canada confirming that no registration of marriage appears in their records (if obtainable);
  • Complete details of the future spouse (full name, date and place of birth, residence, father’s name and mother’s maiden name – FORM B AFFIDAVIT);
  • Final divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse (if divorced or widowed);
  • Parent’s consent (if the person is under marriageable age)

It is extremely important that your full name is written in the same way in all the following documents, otherwise the wedding office will not accept the paperwork

This is something that can happen if:

  • You have more surnames and they are not always expressly listed in all documents
  • The future bride has already been married before and is still keeping the name of her ex-husband. In this case please be sure that your passport and Nulla Osta contains your maiden name

 Just Get Married in Italy  will assist in picking up the final Nulla Osta for you so you do not have to go to the Canadian Consulate here in Italy. We can verify with the Canadian Consulate if the papers are complete and correct to let you obtain the “Canadian declaration  Nulla Osta” if so we ask you to send all the originals to the Canadian Embassy, in Rome or Milan; so they can prepare your documents. The Canadian declaration documents current fees are Euro 33 each.

 Just Get Married in Italy  will then authenticate your nulla osta at the italian office on your behalf. Once the declaration has been obtained and legalized, it is presented to the chosen marriage wedding hall. Banns are waived if neither party is Italian nor residing in Italy.

Some Consulates may follow different procedures; you will be advised by  Just Get Married in Italy  on the exact procedure to folllow .

What to do after Marriage: Marriages that are legally performed in Italy are valid in Canada and you do not need to register them in Canada. While, if you wish to register it, some locations may ask you the authentification of the marriage certificate. The Canadian embassy provides this service online. On request, we can assist with the authentication service (fees apply). 



Marriages conducted in Italy are recognised in New Zealand provided they are in accordance with Italy’s laws.  A marriage in Italy is not, however, automatically registered in New Zealand. It is not possible for a couple to remarry each other in New Zealand if they have already been married overseas. If either party is divorced, they will need to present to the Italian authorities an original or certified copy of the decree nisi or order of dissolution of marriage, together with an official translation into Italian issued by the Italian Embassy in Wellington.  This applies to orders of dissolution of marriage or decree nisi issued in New Zealand.  If the document was issued by the Family Court of Australia, the translation should be done at the Italian Embassy in Canberra.

Documentation required by the New Zealand Embassy in Rome:

  • The Italian authorities require proof that foreigners intending to marry in Italy are not already married.  This proof can be obtained by applying for a Certificate of No Impediment from the Registrar-General’s Office.  This usually takes two weeks for the application to be processed.    If you live in Italy, the Embassy can forward the completed application form to the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages for you.  T
  • Once the Embassy receives the original copy of the Certificate of No Impediment it can issue a document required by the Italian authorities called a Nulla Osta.  This contains information from the Certificate of No Impediment and from the attached form that you both need to complete, sign and return to the Embassy.
  • Please ensure you complete the section requesting an address in Italy, even if it is a temporary address, such as a hotel.  When you return the completed form, you should attach a certified copy of the biopages of your and your partner’s passports.
  • The completed form and certified passport pages should not be sent by facsimile.  The Embassy requires original copies.
  • When the Nulla Osta has been prepared, the consulate will advise us so that they may collect it.  If you and your partner are New Zealanders, a Consular Certificate will also be supplied by the Embassy. The Embassy currently charges €23.00 processing fee for the Nulla Osta and €20.00 for courier fee within Italy. The fees should be sent (together with documentation) to the Embassy by bank draft (in Euro), made out to the New Zealand Embassy.

Once you have the documents provided by the Embassy,  Just Get Married in Italy  will take them to be legalised at the Prefettura (section of the Italian Department of Internal Affairs) in Rome or in the town/city nearest to or where you plan to get married in Italy.

Some Consulates may follow different procedures; you will be advised by  Just Get Married in Italy  on the exact procedure to folllow .





The following documents are required to proceed with a wedding in Italy. You need to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin. Together with filling out some forms available at the Department of Foreign Affairs office in Dublin, the list of documents to provide are :

  • Original full length birth certificates
  • Original no impediment certificate issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs
  • Photocopy of current passport
  • Letter that authorizes  Just Get Married in Italy  to take care of the legal process in Italy and pick up the nulla osta on your behalf

The no impediment certificate is obtained from the Department of Foreign Affairs. We recommend applying for this a couple of months before you intend to marry as it takes about 6 week to process. This certificate states that you are free to marry.


You will need to see your local parish priest to gain his and the bishop’s permission to marry abroad. You will then be given a religious no impediment certificate. In addition, you will be required to attend a premarital course at your church, however your priest will inform you of exactly how to proceed. List of documents required:

    • Certificate of Baptism
    • Certificate of Confirmation
    • Religious no impediment certificate
    • Proof of premarital course attendance

The above documents, together with all those required for a civil ceremony, need to be sent to our office no later than 7 weeks prior the wedding date; this will be processed at the Irish Consulate and with the Bishop by Just Get Married in Italy onsite wedding legal assistant.



At your home town hall in Denmark (vital record department) you need to request:

  • International form to get married in a foreign country
  • Passports
  • Have the form issued in both English and Danish languages
  • Specify that you require this to get married in Italy. 
  • Send us a copy of everything via fax or email(scanned).
  • The document AEGTESKABSATTEST is used as a NO IMPEDIMENT to the marriage, so it needs to say:
    • That you are free to marry.
    • Include your full personal data such as (full names, birth dates and location of birth and so on  for yourself and your future spouse. 

Just Get Married in Italy can expedite all documentation via post so that you do not have to do anything in person. 

Some Consulates may follow different procedures; you will be advised by Just Get Married in Italy on the exact procedure to folllow .




If you wish to get married in Italy by civil ceremony, you need a Nulla Osta (a document issued by the Dutch authorities that testifies that there is no impediment for the wedding). The Nulla Osta can be issued by the General Consulate of Holland in Milan or by the foreign affairs office in Denhaag (AIA).

The following documents must be presented by the Dutch citizen to obtain the Nulla Osta:

  • birth certificate (international form/ Multi-language)
  • Certificate of free marital status issued by the town hall where you are registered.
  • Divorce decree ( in case of previous marriage)

The following documents must be presented by the foreign citizen to obtain the Nulla Osta (in case that the spouse is not Dutch):

  • Birth certificate,
  • Cumulative certificate: with residence, free marital status, citizenship.

ALL the documents mentioned here above can be substituted (except the birth certificates) by a bilateral declaration of free possibility of marriage that can be issued by your town hall of residence in Holland.

In order to get the Nulla Osta in HOLLAND you can send the letter of request for the Nulla Osta to the FOREIGN OFFICE DPC/CJ department- Legalization. In about 6-8 weeks the document is issued.

Some Consulates may follow different procedures; you will be advised by Just Get Married in Italy on the exact procedure to folllow .




Norwegian citizens wanting to marry in Italy must present their Nulla Osta “Attest til bruk for ekteskapsinngåelse etter utenlandsk rett”, which is released by the Vital Statistics Office (Folkeregisteret) of the last city of residence in Norway. From the 1st of January 2005 the Nulla Osta is no longer released by the Consulates. The Nulla Osta upon request will be written up in Italian and must have the:

  • First and Last name
  • Citizenship
  • Civil status (single, divorced or widowed) of the person
  • All clear/permission to marry in Italy

A few wedding halls will require that the birth certificate showing the names of the parents accompany the Nulla Osta. This can be obtained by your Vital Statistics Office. Divorced women must attach the divorce decree showing the date of sentence for divorce. Remember 300 days must pass between the divorce sentence and new wedding date. All documents submitted including certificates must be translated by an authorized translator in Norway. An Apostille from the Fylkesmannen according to the Hague Convention must be applied on all certificates. For a church wedding the priest usually requires the exact same documents PLUS can request your baptism certificate which must once again be translated by an authorized firm in Norway and the Apostille Seal applied. Additional Catholic paperwork may apply � check with Just Get Married in Italy coordinator for specific details.

Some Consulates may follow different procedures; you will be advised by Just Get Married in Italy on the exact procedure to folllow.




In order to get married in Italy a Russian citizen needs a Nulla Osta which may be obtained by showing the following documents to the Russian Embassy in Italy:

  • 2 original Russian passports, one for Russia and one for foreign countries;
  • Original Birth Certificate;
  • If previously divorced/widowed, you need to show your divorce decree or death certificate
  • If documents bear different names, you have to show the document where we can see that you changed it officially.
  • Residence permit. 

The cost of the certificate is Euro 95 per person. The couple must apply for the Nulla Osta in PERSON, no one else will be allowed in the Embassy or Consulate to assist them.

Some Consulates may follow different procedures; you will be advised by Just Get Married in Italy on the exact procedure to folllow


A marriage that takes place in Italy  is  registered in Italy. Your home registry office  may have no function in the registration of marriages that take place abroad. Your Italian marriage certificate is  accepted for official purposes in your country where you need to show evidence that you are married.  You may be requested to provide  a translation from a recognized translation agency operating in  your country.


The names on all documents you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passports – if not, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. You may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll).


The information on this page is available for the interest of the enquirer.  It can change at any time without notice by the authorities. The information is based on couples sharing the same nationality and both reside in their country where the citizenship is held. If this is not your case, the marriage in Italy requirements will change.